Jesus provides the vision: “Love each other as I have loved you” (John 15:12). Jesus loved generously, even lavishly, surprising people by loving without preconditions or limits. He pursued people to love them, bringing healing and freedom.
We need loving relationships when we are struggling with life’s challenges. Unfortunately, the Christian community has not always been a reliable source of support. The strategies used in an effort to be helpful often break relationship because they are rooted in fear, not love. We fear vulnerability, and we feel vulnerable when we go through times of distress or walk with someone who is. Our fear of vulnerability blocks our capacity to connect when we need it most.
Restoring Relationship explores the roots of vulnerability and provides a framework for transforming fear into love through connection.
Through stories and exercises, I introduce a new spiritual practice based on the Internal Family Systems (IFS) model, demonstrating the congruence of IFS with biblical and theological truths. Common causes of distress, including loss, betrayal, addiction, and the emotional response to physical and mental illness, are explored through the lens of IFS and the new spiritual practice. Through this journey of connection, constraints to loving relationships are removed, restoring loving relationships with God, one another, and ourselves.
Praise for Restoring Relationship
"More and more therapists are finding Internal Family Systems (IFS) to be a powerful therapeutic model for helping people heal from various emotional and psychological challenges. I highly recommend this volume for therapists, pastors, and others in the Christian helping community."
- Mark L. Strauss, PhD, University Professor of New Testament, Bethel Seminary
"Jesus told us to love one another regardless of differences and flaws. This book takes that directive seriously and provides clear steps for bringing his love not only to external others but also to the unsavory or “sinful" parts of us."
- Richard C. Schwartz, PhD – Founder of the Internal Family Systems Model
"Molly LaCroix could not have more clearly laid out the case that God has equipped us with everything we need to recover from all of the pain and hurt life brings our way. Speaking from first-hand experience with the Internal Family Systems (IFS) model, the principles taught in Restoring Relationship have transformed my life."
- Miles McPherson, Senior Pastor, Rock Church. Author of The Third Option: Hope for a Racially Divided Nation
"Using insights from the Internal Family Systems approach to healing, Molly facilitates sacred connections on the inside that inform loving relationships on the outside. This book is a valuable resource for anyone who wants an authentic, congruent faith."
- Mary K. Steege, MDiv, LMFT, Author of The Spirit-Led Life: Christianity and the Internal Family System
Listen to these podcasts to hear Molly describe the book and how it can help you on your healing journey.
- Deconstructing Mamas - Internal Family Systems - Molly LaCroix
- The Changing Faith Podcast - Molly LaCroix and Internal Family Systems
- Theology Doesn't Suck - Restoring Relationship - With Molly LaCroix
- How to Heal Our Divides - An interview with HTHOD book contributor Molly LaCroix
- Experience Emerge - Molly LaCroix, LMFT: Restoring Relationship Part II
- Faith Conversations Podcast - Molly LaCroix, Episode 304
- Experience Emerge - Molly LaCroix, LMFT: Restoring Relationship (Part I)
- The Renew Podcast - Integrating Faith and Mental Health with Molly LaCroix, LMFT
- Jesus Never Ran Podcast - Restoring Relationships with Molly LaCroix
- Impossible Beauty Podcast - Choosing Love Over Fear
- Confessions of a Crappy Christian Podcast - Embracing Your Inner Critic
- Faith + Mental Health - Restoring Relationship with Molly LaCroix
- Beth's Bookcast - Interview with Molly LaCroix
- The All Gifts Podcast - How can we evolve spiritually?
- The All Gifts Podcast - Are Boundaries Cancel Culture?
- The One Inside - IFS & Why Christians Talk So Much About Love But Often Fail to be Loving